- Players must be 18 years or older. A team is allowed to play up to TWO PLAYERS under the age of 18, provided they are 16 or older at the start of the league, and they sign our minor liability waiver.
- Picking up players: Mid State does not like forfeits. A team may pick up as many as 2 players from another team in order to play on that given day (the picked up players must be on another team and not a random fan unless the team has roster spots available). Mid State registered players can “pick up” as many times as they want throughout the season so long as they do not play for the same pickup team twice. Absolutely no picking up of players in the playoffs. If a league is denoted as “A/B”, a “B-Division” team may have ONE “A-Division” player on their roster from any league in that sport.
- Regular Season Eligibility: Captains must submit their rosters to Mid State before the commencement of the first game. Captains may add players to that roster until reaching the maximum number of players for that sport.
- Exceptions: If a team’s roster is full but a season ending injury is sustained, the team can add another player to the roster, however in co-ed leagues the replacement player must be of the same gender.
- Playoff Eligibility: To be eligible for the playoffs, the player must be on the team’s roster and must have played a minimum of one game during the regular season.
- Ejections: All ejections will result in the player being suspended from the game he or she was ejected from and the following game. Any player who engages will be removed from the league without refund.
- Team captains must create a CAPTAIN PROFILE in order to submit and maintain their team roster(s).
LAWS OF THE GAME
The rules of this league series shall be in accordance with FIFA except as modified and approved herein by MSSL
All games shall be in accordance with the FIFA “laws of the game”, except as modified below.
Competition sanctioned by this association shall abide by the “laws of the game”, along with any modifications or regulations of MSSL.
LAW 1: Field of Play
Field shall be at 60 yards long by 40 yards wide.
LAW 2: Number of Players
All teams will play 6 per side.
*Teams must have a minimum of five players on the field to start a game. A 5-minute grace period will be in effect for the first game of the day only.
*Substitutions shall be unlimited. Substitutions may be made at any time during the game as long as the player leaving and entering the field does so at midfield.
The substitute shall not enter the field of play until the player he is replacing has left.
LAW 3: Players’ Equipment
Player equipment must conform to MSSL rules.
- Footwear: regulation soccer cleats with rubber-soles (not football cleats), plastic cleats, and detachable rubber cleats that screw into the shoe, and tennis shoes are the only permissible footwear. All else must be approved by MSSL.
- Teams will wear uniforms of matching color.
- Jewelry: No jewelry (earrings, watches, necklaces, etc.) or any other item deemed dangerous by the official may be worn. Any player wearing exposed permanent jewelry (i.e. body piercing) will not be permitted to play.
- If eyeglasses are worn, they must be unbreakable. Each player is responsible for the safety of his/her own eyeglasses.
- Headwear: Players may wear a knit or stocking cap (no caps with bills except for the goalkeeper) during play.
LAW 4: The Duration of the Match
Games will be played with two 25-minute halves, and a three-minute half time.
Overtime Periods: There will be no Overtime periods in preliminary matches. Playoff matches will have two 5 minute overtime periods, “Golden Goal” format. If there is no score after overtime, Penalty Kicks will follow (FIFA Rules, but only 3 players per team).
LAW 5: Offside
The offside rule will NOT be in effect
LAW 6: NO SLIDE TACKLING
There is NO SLIDE TACKLING, period. This rule applies to all players including the goalkeeper.
(Definition) A slide tackle occurs when a player leaves his/her feet and leads with his/her feet to play the ball while the ball is in the proximity of another player. A slide tackle does not require that any contact occur between players.
Sliding to keep a ball from going out of bounds, or to stop a ball that does not endanger another player is not a foul. It will be up to the referee’s discretion as to whether or not a player’s participation from the ground is dangerous.
(Goalkeepers) A goalkeeper may leave his/her feet to play the ball *inside the penalty box. A goalkeeper leaving his/her feet within 6 feet of another player must do so with their legs in a bent position and may not at any time attempt to play the ball with their feet while on the ground. Doing so will be deemed a slide tackle.
LAW 7: Free Kicks
All fouls outside of the penalty area will be awarded a free kick.
*All free kicks are indirect with the exception of corner kicks.
The defensive players can be no closer than 4 yards to the ball
*LAW 8: Kick-Ins
All balls that go out of bounds on the sidelines will be put back into play via a kick-in. This is treated like an indirect free kick (defenders must give 4 yards).
LAW 9: Goal Kick
Ball may be kicked from on or anywhere within the goal box (6 yard box). A goal may not be scored directly from a goal kick.
LAW 10: Corner Kick
- A corner kick shall be awarded to the attacking team when the entire ball passes over the goal line, excluding the area between the goal posts and under the crossbar, either in the air or on the ground, having last been touched or played by the defending team.
- A corner kick is the only free kick that is considered direct.
- Players of the defending team shall be at least 4 yards from the ball until it has been kicked.
- The ball shall be kicked from the ground within the quarter circle, including on the lines, at the corner nearest where the ball left the field of play.
- After the corner kick, the ball must be played by another player, before the one who executed the kick plays the ball again.
LAW 11: Penalty Kick
- Fouls/Infractions inside the goal box will result in a penalty kick.
- Penalty kicks will be taken from 8 yards out from the goal line with one goalie who is allowed to use their hands. The spot for the kick will be indicated on the field. Players can take as many steps as they want on their run-up but must start inside the goal box.
*LAW 12: Violations and Bookings
- A player receiving two yellow cards in one game will be ejected from the current game and their next game. The team will have to play down a player in this case.
- A player receiving a red card in a game will be ejected from the current game and their next game, and the team will have to play down a player in the current game.
- Yellow cards will carry over throughout the season. A player receiving 4 total yellow cards in a season will be allowed to continue playing the current game where they received their fourth card but will have to sit the next game. The number of cards carrying over will reset for the playoffs, and then the same rule applies to the playoffs. 1 red card equals 2 yellow cards.
DETERMINATION OF SEASON WINNINGS
In regular season play there will be NO overtime games. Standings in the league will be determined by:
GAME POINTS: 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss
- Head to head competition
- Net goal differential (a maximum of 4 goals in differential per game will apply)
- Score is 7-0, winning team would have +7, losing team -7
- Score is 10-0, winning team would have +7, losing team –7
- Kicks from the penalty mark per FIFA rules.